[vlc] Questions & suggestions

Karim Nassar karim at karimnassar.com
Tue Jun 17 17:51:52 CEST 2003

I recently stumbled upon this program, and like it very much. I am in
the process of building a skin for it to my liking (very low-profile
skin that can be always on top without obstructing the screen) and have
encountered some problems/issues with the program itself.

I don't know if this is the correct forum for feature requests/
technical questions, so please let me know if it is out of place.

I understand that this program is originally intended as a player for
streaming media, and I hope that the developers can work towards a
robust app that can easily handle both streamed and local content.

I have encountered the following issues using the Skinned interface.
Both the "default" and my own skins seem to display these properties,
though the standard interface (win32) does not exhibit them.

I am running on a Win2K (v.5.00.2195)machine, P3 with 512 MB ram.

1) It is not possible to add multiple files to the playlist. Is this a
bug, a known issue? is there a work-around?

2) The Play button does not seem to behave correctly. If a file is
stopped, the play button is grayed out and only double clicking the file
in the playlist will start it playing again... In fact, it seems that
the Play button function is useless.

3) If the skin is changed with the program running, sometimes files in
the playlist become unplayable. remove them & add them again, and they
are fine.

Also, I have the following request:

The TextControl property "display" should have the option of "title." It
is useful to be able to display the title of a file on a main panel
without having to scroll through the entire path (as the scrolling is
distracting). So one should be able to read the name of a file or track
without having to deal with the full path.

Anyway, great work so far!

--Karim