[vlc] ideas for future features

Karim Nassar karim at karimnassar.com
Tue Jun 24 18:01:37 CEST 2003

Ok... first I want to say how much I appreciate the work you guys have
done on this program. I'm very unskilled at programming, but I know just
enough to know how difficult it can be to achieve things like this.

Anyway, I am a product designer, and having used VLC for DVD and music
playback for the last few weeks, I have some suggestions to improve the
program from the interface standpoint.

* toggle a playlist shuffle mode.
* a toggle to "pin" the main window so that it is always on top of other
windows
* the ability to access all player functions through the skin XML layer
(ie: if I want have a button on the skin that turns on subtitles)
* effectively expand the number of "hooks" between the engine and the
skin to allow for fuller feature sets on skins.

Like I said, I'm not a programmer, otherwise I would offer to contribute
to the code. However, perhaps, I can contribute in other ways? As I
posted before, I am working on a custom skin design (available here:
http://www.karimnassar.com/phoenix/KiND.zip). I would also be happy to
write documentation on skinning features as they expand.

--Karim