[vlc] vlc-0.6.0 alsa audio problem

Sebastien Fievet sebastien.fievet at free.fr
Tue Jun 24 22:45:36 CEST 2003

Hi,

I just compiled vlc-0.6.0, and i am experiencing troubles with the ALSA audio
output, which is very noisy. It sounds like it is saturated all the time the
vlc plays. I also tried the esd plugin, but with the same bad results.
I neither have OSS support, nor the compatibilty layer provided by ALSA now
that the latter is pretty mature and works fine with my other apps.

I used Xine+ALSA before without problems, but i really want to give VLC a
try.

Attached is a log of a small session :
- launch the vlc,
- choose a dvd source,
- play the movie menu,
- stop and quit.

The alsa driver seems to complain about the PCM data format it receives :
   "ALSA lib pcm.c:1785:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Invalid type for PCM
   iec958:AES0=0x2,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2 definition (id: iec958, value:
   cards.pcm.iec958)"

Thank you for your help,

Sebastien.