[vlc] Non linear cpu consumption by multiple VLCs

brian at worldcontrol.com brian at worldcontrol.com
Tue Mar 4 08:57:31 CET 2003

Details:

When I start 4 vlc processes decoding the same 3.6mbps multicast
stream with the dummy/null video output module all goes as I
would expect.

On my AMD XP2000 processor the vlcs takes up about 50% of the CPU.
In fact, from 1 to 4 vlcs CPU usage is very linear.

However, when I start the fifth vlc, CPU usage goes to 95%.

I tried the same thing on a Barton XP2800 w/512K L2 cache.

4 processes took 24% of the CPU.  The 5th took it up to 95%.

Any ideas as to what may be happening?

I average the CPU usage information over a 5 minute period
to come up with my usage numbers.

--
Brian Litzinger