[vlc] possible to run vlc in background or without interactive shell???

Andreas Krings andreas.krings at rwth-aachen.de
Mon Mar 10 21:51:05 CET 2003

Hello,

is it possible to run vlc in background (for example: vlc videofile.mpg
--sout udp/ts://192.1.1.1 &) or without the interactive shell under console.

I want to run vlc for streaming over my network from a script in my
bash. But after starting vlc, the script should start more things, which
is not possilbe for me as long as vlc runs.

And which is the fastest way to close or shut down vlc??
"kill -9 <pid>" or are there other, faster ways?? - Background is that i
need to change the input videofiles many times.

Thanks for help and greetings

Andreas Krings