[vlc] Re: VLC Quickstart & Multicast/Windows 2000?

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Wed Mar 12 05:58:54 CET 2003

Alexis de Lattre wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 11, 2003, Bill Eldridge wrote :
>

>>On the same machine, or accessing the Linux server from another machine?
>>I can multicast to my own machine without this.
>>However, no machine should have routing (ip_forward) on by default, non?
>>

>No, ip_forward should be off by default of course. My default routing
>tables are :
>
>Kernel IP routing table
>Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
>138.195.152.128 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.128 U     0      0        0 eth0
>0.0.0.0         138.195.152.129 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
>
>And with this routing tables and if_forward=0, I can multicast a stream
>to others machines. You say that you can't do so on your RedHat 8.0 ?

No, it didn't work until I added the forward and the route.
Perhaps it's because of my Intel Etherpro100 or whatever it's
called - I think in the multicast.txt in the kernel it talks about
it only working in promiscuous mode, perhaps this puts it
in that mode? I'll retest tomorrow to be sure.

Unless of course your gateway is multicast enabled and handling
this all for you?