[vlc] Re: VLC with a iMac 333 MHz

Derk-Jan Hartman d.hartman at student.utwente.nl
Thu Mar 13 22:54:10 CET 2003

On donderdag, maa 13, 2003, at 13:19 Europe/Amsterdam,
Martin.Bergs at t-online.de wrote:
> what are the minimum system requirements for running VLC? I have only a
> iMac 333 MHz with Mac OS 10.2 and the movies with VLC are very choppy.
> Furthermore I can hear permanent a noise.
> Has anyone some tipps or tricks for running VLC on older Macs.

It depends what you are trying to do. For playing DVD and divx movies
this is absolutely the most lowend machine you can use. DVD will never
work good on this machine with VLC. Larger DIVX movies won't work
either.

You could try setting the hurry up option for better divx playback, but
you will loose a lot of quality i guess.
The option is quite well hidden.

Preferences->Interface->show advanced options  (Click Apply)
Now go to the Decoders part of the preferences.
 From the dropdown list choose 'ffmpeg' and click 'configure'
enable 'hurry up' click OK and click OK (never click the 'select'
button)

DJ
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan 'The DJ' Hartman