[vlc] Debian install and poor video quality

Bob Paige bobman at Iname.com
Sun Mar 16 07:00:23 CET 2003

First, I had trouble installing VLC with Debian according to the
instructions on the site. When I followed the instructions (set up my
sources and requested the specified packages) it installed version
0.2.xx instead of 0.5.xx. When I downloaded the vlc_0.5.xx.deb file and
installed it manually, everything proceeded just fine. Perhaps something
needs to be updated on the vlc servers.

Second, my video quality is poor. For example, when I first played a DVD
(using 0.2.xx) it played wonderfully. However, the third or fourth
attempt saw a big change in quality. Subsequent installation of 0.5.xx
has not changed this.

For the movie I was watching, the opening titles and scenes are a black
background and take place at night. The first time I viewed it
everything was fine. On subsequent views the images and sound are still
there, but everything is grey instead of black. I can hardly see what is
going on with everything so washed out.

I played around with the video preferences. When I saw the 'invert'
filter I thought perhaps the colors were inverted, giving me grey
instead of black. Now I know it wasn't that becuase now I have a
grey-washed-out picture with inverted colors and no way to 'un-invert' them.

Any ideas?

--
Bobman