[vlc] Re: vlc on ipaq

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Wed Mar 19 08:45:30 CET 2003

Mildred Frisco wrote:
> thanks. but is there somebody on the list who has actually done it?  can i
> have an assessment of its performance and how easy is it to install?
> thank you

I am the port maintainer for iPaq. VLC for iPaq supports GTK+, GPE and
Opie for Familiar Linux distributions. Only the GTK and GPE package
support an user interface.

The Opie support is not yet finished. It lacks a GUI but is usable from
the commandline and can be started by the script opie-vlc. If you want
to use vlc with Opie just do:

for network: opie-vlc udp://@:1234

or for local file: opie-vlc <myfile.mpg>

Installing is just downloading the ipk files and using "ipkg install
<package.ipk>"
- for GPE: gpe-vlc, libffmpeg packages are needed
- for GTK: vlc, libffmepg packages are needed
- for Opie: opie-vlc, libffmpeg, opie-sdl packages are needed

As you must know the iPaq has limited CPU horsepower, so it cannot and
will never decode a video that has requires a big bandwidth. Best
results can be obtained with a scaled down video in bandwidth and screen
size. Personally I use video with screen size 240X192 but 240x320 will
also do fine, however 1024x768 will not work well. It requires too much
CPU to decode.

Further DivX support is present but it is requires more CPU to decode it
then MPEG1 or MPEG2.

Bottomline is for successfull demos use a small video (small in
bitrate/bandwidth and screensize).

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman

Software Architect

e-mail (work): saman at natlab.research.philips.com
phone  (work): 040 27 42909
Ordina TA,
Science Park Eindhoven 5602, Postbus 293, 5600 AG Eindhoven
e-mail : jean-paul.saman at ordina.nl
phone  : 040 2601200
fax    : 040 2601199