[vlc] Re: Problems compiling VLC

Paul Allen allenp at nwlink.com
Sat Mar 22 21:36:57 CET 2003

Bruce,

> I'm trying to compile VLC on Redhat 8, and although using the directions
> given in your
> user guide, I still get RPM errors.

A note about terminology: "Compiling" is the process of turning source
code into executable binary programs.  What you are doing is installing
pre-compiled binary packages in RPM format.  Welcome to the community!

> Even though libdvdread was loaded via
> RPM, I get
> the "failed dependencies" error.  I can see where the error comes from;
> vlc-0.5.0-1
> requires libdvdread.so.2 and I loaded libdvdread.so.3 with RPM.

I don't see libdvdread in any of the RPM packages at
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-redhat.html.  I guess you have
to get it someplace else.  My old vlc 0.4.1 setup from last year
apparently uses a libdvdread.so.2.0.2 from a package called
"libdvdread-0.9.3-ogle1".  If I remember correctly, I got that from
the Ogle project.  They seem to have moved on and I don't see that
package on their project download page.  The old sources are there,
but I don't see the binary package.

As an experiment, you could try just symlinking libdvdread.so.3 to
libdvdread.so.2 and add --nodeps to your rpm install command.  The
worst case is that vlc will blow up because the libdvdread interface
has changed too radically.

> Also
> confused on where
> to get libavcodec.

Libavcodec.so is in the libffmpeg package.  My notes from the source
build I did last night say that ffmpeg depends on liba52 and libvorbis.
I see you've got liba52 in the list below, but you may need to find
libvorbis somewhere.  Perhaps it's on your RedHat CD's?

> It looks like you have a great program, and once I get
> this figured
> out I'd love to help you folks with the user guide (right now, the Redhat
> compiling
> part :-)  ).

It is pretty good, isn't it?  I do have MS Media Player on top of
the Crossover Plugin and I keep my Real Player around, but vlc is
what I use for DVD's and everything else.

> Below is the command I'm using and the error I'm getting:
>
> [root at helios vlc]# rpm -Uhv vlc-0.5.0-1.i386.rpm gnome-vlc-0.5.0-1.i386.rpm
> vlc-plugin-mad-0.5.0-1.i386.rpm vlc-plugin-ogg-0.5.0-1.i386.rpm
> vlc-plugin-a52-0.5.0-1.i386.rpm libdvdcss2-1.2.5-1.i386.rpm
> libdvbpsi1-0.1.2-3mdk.i586.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libavcodec.so is needed by vlc-0.5.0-1
>         libdvdread.so.2 is needed by vlc-0.5.0-1
>
> [root at helios vlc]# ls /usr/lib/libdvd*
> /usr/lib/libdvdplay.so.0      /usr/lib/libdvdread.so.3
> /usr/lib/libdvdplay.so.0.0.1  /usr/lib/libdvdread.so.3.0.0
>
> Please respond to my email address Bruce.Juntti at VerizonWireless.com
> Thanks very much
> in advance for any help you can provide.
>
> Bruce Juntti
> Bellevue, WA. USA

Bellevue, huh?  I'm just up the street from you in Redmond.

Paul Allen