[vlc] Windows version: can't connect to UDP/RTP streams

Matteo Santagata m.santagata at tiscali.it
Mon Mar 24 09:55:00 CET 2003

Hello everybody, I hope you can help me.

I'm experiencing a problem on the Windows version of VLC.
If I play a local file I have no problem, but I can't connect to multicast
servers.

I choose UDP/RTC Multicast, I specify the IP and the port (I am sure they
are correct), but nothing happens: the video window doesn't appear and audio
is mute!!
It doesn't even try to connect to the network, since my software firewall
receives no requests outgoing from VLC.
The only thing that I noticed is that the network source appears correctly
in the playlist.

If I go back to the "Net" button and I re-insert the same data, the video is
still invisible and audio still mute, but the line

udp:@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYYY  Channel: (Channel selector) (GO! button)
(Where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address and YYYYY is the port).

appears in the main program window.

What can it be?
Am I doing something wrong?
I don't have changed any Preference, my network hardware works correctly
with all other applications....

Here's a dump of the output in "Messages" window:

adding playlist item « udp:@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYYY »
channels initialized
creating new input thread
playlist item `udp:@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYYY'
waiting for thread completion
access `udp', demux `', name `@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYYY'
looking for access module
probing 1 candidate
opening server=:0 local=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:YYYYY
looking for network module
probing 2 candidates
thread 2064 (input) created at priority 15 (src/input/input.c:157)
using network module "ipv4"
unlocking module "ipv4"
using access module "access_udp"

(XXX.XXX... is the IP and YYYYY the port)

Here's my configuration:

OS: Windows XP SP1 (It was Win2000 until February, but I had the same
problem)
CPU: P-IV 2,53Ghz
MoBo: Epox 4SDA5+, with onboard ethernet interface (SiS chipset)
Video: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9000
Audio: SB Audigy 2

NOTE:
On the same PC I have also installed SuSE 8.1 distribution of linux (on a
different HD partition, of course...;-). There I have compiled and installed
VLC with no problem, and that's what I use when I want to see that video
stream.... but I'd really like to use Windows version too!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestion, and congratulations for your work: VLC
is a very good software.

Matteo