[vlc] Re: streaming live content

Tristan Leteurtre tristan.leteurtre at videolan.org
Thu Mar 27 14:36:14 CET 2003

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003, Animesh Chatterjee wrote:

> I am looking for a solution on my Win2K machine to stream the incoming
> satellite feed over my home network (100BaseT). I get programs through
> my Dish satellite receiver and have a NVidia GeForce 4200i 128MB
> graphics card on my PC. The satellite receiver outputs S-Video which I
> feed into the NVidia card.

If you want to stream numerical channel, the best way is to buy a cheap
win Nova-T from hauppauge, and stream using the videolan server under
linux. If can, do this.

If you want to stream from a S-video signal out of your receicer (for
example, your satellite signal is analog), then you have to do real-time
encoding. Using a mpeg2 encoding board may work under windows using a
trick : writing to a named pipe and vls windows may stream from it.
However this has not been reported to work well.
I'd rather suggest in this case to use a simple grabbing card, and
encode it in real-time using videolan server (linux). Note you will need
a powerful computer (1GHz).

Regards,

--
Tristan