[vlc] Re: Compiling vlc source on Visual Studio 6.0

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Fri May 16 22:09:05 CEST 2003

On Friday 16 May 2003 14:18, Roberto Chao Polo wrote:
> Thank you for help me with the snapshot. It builds OK
> but has no grafical interface.

Currently, the GUI interfaces are not compilable under MSVC.
You can compile the http and rc interfaces though.

> What do you mean with minimal vlc binary?

I mean that you currently cannot build under MSVC the vlc modules that
depend on 3rd party libraries. For instance the wxWindows plugin depends on
the wxWindows libraries, the libmpeg2 plugin depends on the libmpeg2
library, etc...

Actually you should be able to build them under MSVC as well but not out of
the box. You'll have to hack the .dsp files so they know where these
libraries are.

> The architecture of vlc is build over different pieces
> named modules and a kernel libvlc library responsable
> of looking for this modules and load it when
> necessary. Is this libvlc binary the minimal vlc
> binary you are talking about?

No, as I said above, by minimal I meant everything in vlc that doesn't
depend on a 3rd party library.
To see the list of 3rd party libraries we use, go to:
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/

> I´m not used to work in
> Unix environment but it seems there are a lot of
> modules whith source code ready to build with Visual
> Studio. Is there any GUI source code module to build
> with Visual Studio available?

Not without some hacking. And I don't use MSVC myself so I can't help.

> I can see the source
> code files in the directory modules\gui\win32 or
> modules\gui\wxwindows but I can´t see the *.dsp Visual
> Studio project file. May be I could create one dsp
> file including the source code files in the directory
> and try to build it?

That would work for the wxwindows interface if you have the wxWindows
headers and libraries (see www.wxwindows.org).

You just have to hack the file:
msvc/plugin_wxwindows.dsp

> If I´m not able to do it I always
> can get the binary win32 dll module and put it in the
> vlc directory but: How can I make vlc recognize this
> new module and use it? It has to be done at compile
> time including the name of the module in some header
> or at run time typing a command line argument of
> vlc.exe? I think I don´t understand completely the way
> vlc detects and loads new modules on demand. Do you
> know any document to learn more?

The modules/plugins are not binary compatible between the different versions
of vlc, so you can't just drop a module from an earlier version of vlc.

I will update the instructions this week-end to build a full featured vlc
under cygwin. You will see it is very easy.

--
Gildas