[vlc] Re: Compiling vlc source on Visual Studio 6.0

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu May 22 00:49:31 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 23:37, Roberto Chao Polo wrote:

> Project builds without errors but when run I get Stack
> Overflow when calling "p_intf->pf_run( p_intf )" at
> line 124 in interfaces.c. If someone knows how to
> solve help me.

Not sure but I don't think the "/entry:"_CRT_INIT at 12"" option is wanted
here. Could you try without ?

> Due to the difficulties of setting breakpoints and
> debugging a Dll I´d like to substitute some dynamic
> linked libraries (plugins) with his static linked
> libraries counterparts (builtin). I´ve read somewhere
> in the source code functions like module_LoadBuiltins,
> AllocateBuiltinModule, etc so I suppose it´s possible.
> What steps should I follow?

Your modules_builtin_msvc.h file should probably be modified to look like
this:

#define ALLOCATE_BUILTIN( NAME ) \
    AllocateBuiltinModule( p_this, vlc_entry__ ## NAME );

/* We also consider the main program as a module (useful for config stuff)
*/
int vlc_entry__main( module_t* );

int vlc_entry__wxwindows( module_t* );

/* Add stuff here */
#define ALLOCATE_ALL_BUILTINS() \
    do \
    { \
        ALLOCATE_BUILTIN(wxwindows); \
    } while( 0 );

> What´s define GPROF? How can I use it?

Gprof is a profiler. It only works with the gcc toolchain though.

> The file messages.c contains a series of functions to
> output messages like msg_Dbg. Can I get this messages
> spread out all along the source code for debugging
> information?

You can use these functions anywhere in vlc's code.

> I´m getting mad with reverse engineering all this
> lines of code. It´d be more easy with a developer
> documentation declaring the interfaces between vlc an
> his plugins. If I want to build a new plugin I´d know
> what vlc expects from my library. For example What is
> the basic function of a packetizer_like plugin?

packetizer plugins are used for the stream output feature of vlc. They are
used to packetize raw elementary stream data before it is sent to the
muxers.

> What interfaces should it implement? All this questions are
> of primary importance to help third party developers.
> Did you have any documentation about it?

You will find a developper documentation here:
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/
It is not at all up-to-date but it will be a good startging point I guess.

Regards,

--
Gildas