[vlc] Re: Reports on 5.1 audio with VLC-win32 ?

Sebastian P. Goetze SPGoetze at Nikocity.de
Thu May 22 14:53:49 CEST 2003

Hi Gildas,

I don't have a subwoofer/Special Effects thingy, but with the 4 speakers connected
to my system (Headphones connected as 'rear' speakers) VLC works sort of fine:

- in 5.1 mode the sound is well balanced (on the 4 speakers I have)
- in 2+2 mode the sound is off to the left front / right back (too loud there)
-> I suspect the 'remixing' of channels has some problems...

I compared it to BSPlayer with the AC3Filter wich is doing a fine job displaying all 6
channels and very flexible in setting it up on different systems.

E.g. there used to be a 'reverse stereo' setting I liked. I didn't see it again since
0.5.1. (I have my main speakers reversed, because of cable length problems).
Where did it go ? Can it come back ?

- In AC3Filter you can adjust the Input/Output matrix according to your needs. I
could easily set it up, so that I get all 6 channels on the 2 main speakers
(reversed...) and the same copied to the headphones (regular).

Is there any chance that you can use the AC3Filter (if it is installed) instead of
VLCs internal handling of AC3 ? I didn't find it in the plugin or filter lists...

- Another Thing: Audio desynchronisation compensation (still) doesn't seem to
work. I tried (de-)synchronizing the audio of a perfectly fine movie, but it was still in
synch... AFAIK it doesn't do a thing...

- On that matter: in Plugins/Video Filter/Adjust I tried setting Brightness, Saturation,
Contrast, all without any perceivable results...
Am I doing something wrong ??

But I still think you're doing a great job !!!

:-)

Sebastian