[vlc] Re: Reports on 5.1 audio with VLC-win32 ?

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Thu May 22 18:54:29 CEST 2003

On Thursday 22 May 2003 14:53, Sebastian P. Goetze wrote:

> I don't have a subwoofer/Special Effects thingy, but with the 4 speakers
> connected to my system (Headphones connected as 'rear' speakers) VLC works
> sort of fine:
>
> - in 5.1 mode the sound is well balanced (on the 4 speakers I have)

Cool :)

> - in 2+2 mode the sound is off to the left front / right back (too loud
>   there)
> -> I suspect the 'remixing' of channels has some problems...

Yes, I guess it is the problem. I'll check this.

> I compared it to BSPlayer with the AC3Filter wich is doing a fine job
> displaying all 6 channels and very flexible in setting it up on different
> systems.
>
> E.g. there used to be a 'reverse stereo' setting I liked. I didn't see it
> again since 0.5.1. (I have my main speakers reversed, because of cable
> length problems). Where did it go ? Can it come back ?

Actually it is still there but only enabled in "Stereo" mode. Maybe we could
do something for the other modes as well.

> - In AC3Filter you can adjust the Input/Output matrix according to your
> needs. I could easily set it up, so that I get all 6 channels on the 2
> main speakers (reversed...) and the same copied to the headphones
> (regular).
>
> Is there any chance that you can use the AC3Filter (if it is installed)
> instead of VLCs internal handling of AC3 ? I didn't find it in the plugin
> or filter lists...

No. At least personnaly I don't plan to work on this as it would only work
with the win32 version of vlc.

> - Another Thing: Audio desynchronisation compensation (still) doesn't seem
> to work. I tried (de-)synchronizing the audio of a perfectly fine movie,
> but it was still in synch... AFAIK it doesn't do a thing...

Thanks for reminding me. I just fixed it in the cvs.

> - On that matter: in Plugins/Video Filter/Adjust I tried setting
> Brightness, Saturation, Contrast, all without any perceivable results...
> Am I doing something wrong ??

You need to enable the "adjust" filter in the preferences panel in the
"video" section.

> But I still think you're doing a great job !!!

Thanks for you report, that's really helpful.

--
Gildas