[vlc] M-Audio Sonica and VLC 0.6.0-test1 (OS X) status

Ray Hicks rayhicks at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 27 14:00:31 CEST 2003

Hi,

General:

Just thought I'd let people know the status of VLC 0.6.0-test1 with a
M-Audio Sonica on Mac OS X 10.2.6. Drivers for the Sonica are the most
recent from M-Audio.

I have the Sonica connected to a 5.1 Receiver using the optical
connection for S/PDIF.

After installing 0.6.0-test1 I played a DVD straight away from the File
menu (without going into Preferences). It worked in SPDIF mode, passing
the AC3 to the Receiver without any problems.

Later in the preferences I noticed the option 'Use the S/PDIF audio
output when available' - I did not need to tick this, and still haven't.

Problems:

DTS is not passing correctly over S/PDIF to the receiver. The sound has
an 'underwater' sound and is stuttering. I guess this is a known
issue/limitation of VLC so far?

When switching between AC3 and PCM S/PDIF modes on the fly while a DVD
is playing, VLC will crash.

Something else I noticed was that the audio and video on Star Wars:
Episode 1 was a bit out of sync (only tried S/PDIF mode), however other
DVDs I tried were okay. These are PAL Region 4 discs. I will try and
test further.

Developers:

I would be happy to do further testing for the M-Audio Sonica and with
S/PDIF in general on Mac OS X. Please let me know what preferences to
try, and what logs to send you, and for newer builds, what to test for
you, etc.

Regards,

-Ray