[vlc] Re: VLC article request

Eric Petit titer at m0k.org
Wed Nov 5 13:32:05 CET 2003

  Hi,

> 01: As I can see from your website the last issue of VLC is
> 0.6.2. Do you plan further development of this product?

  Yes, 0.6.3-test1 should be out in a few weeks.

> Is this release stable?

  Quite ;)

> Is your program Zeta compatible?

  Yes. You can either compile in for R5 and run it on Zeta, or compile
it directly on Zeta.

> 02: Do you have further plans for the BeOS/OSBOS/Zeta market?
> 03: How do you see the BeOS market as general?
> 04: How is the standing of your BeOS products?
> 07: Please tell us some background of the company team and
> the company itself.
> 08: Do you plan to introduce new prices for this software
> product or are they remaining freeware?

  VideoLAN is originally a french student project, and now a opensource
project with many developers from others countries; the software will
remain free.

  So there aren't really plans or market, most people here are just
doing it for fun. The BeOS/OBOS/Zeta port will be maintained as long as
someone has time to do it - and I hope Zeta will attract enough
developers so there is always one to take care of VLC.

> 05: If there is a new version or even new products in
> development for BeOS - Can you give me some details about
> this ongoing work (f.e. new features etc.)?

  Would be too long to write here - check
<http://www.videolan.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/vlc/NEWS?rev=1.69>.

> 06: Do you need some feedback for your product from users?

  We already have quite a lot of feedback - not that much from BeOS
users though. It's always appreciated.

> 10: Are there limitations or known problem regarding the
> BeOS version compared to other platforms (f.e. I experience
> some streaming problems resulting in stopping pictures
> sometimes I use VLC on my computer under BeOS)?

  The main known problem is indeed the network limitations. R5 has a
crappy network stack which won't allow you to stream at higher
bitrates. Zeta partially fixes this, but still doesn't support
multicast (yet?).

  Regards,

--
Eric Petit <titer at m0k.org>