[vlc] Re vlc fails with network jitter

asrao at hns.com asrao at hns.com
Wed Nov 5 14:56:52 CET 2003

Once the out of order problem was fixed on nistnet, vlc worked fine at
jitter values as high as 50 msecs - it probably could handle even
larger jitter but we did not test it.
Thanks
Ashok Rao

À (At) 14:08 -0400 24/09/03, asrao at hns dot com écrivait (wrote) :

We used nistnet to add about 0.1 msecs max of jitter  (delay variation) to
a 1.5 Mbps MPEG-2 transport stream which was being played
out in unicast UDP format.  The video started blocking and finally froze.
 VLC works fine with less than 0.1 msec of jitter.
For those who are interested, the setting when problems on nistnet when
problems started was
mean delay = 360 msecs and sigma (standard deviation) = 0.03

0.1 ms seems really small to me, we should handle much more than that.
However VLC assumes that the packets arrive in order, are you sure this is
the case ? Otherwise it would fail with TS discontinuity messages in the
Messages window.

--
Christophe Massiot.