[vlc] Re: VideoLAN

Jason Luka jason at geshp.com
Thu Nov 20 14:27:50 CET 2003

info6329 at professionalglobalmarketing.com wrote:

>Hello Staff and support team of the VideoLAN...
>
>We just visit your site of: http://www.videolan.org
>
>We are in development of a web conferencing system and arer researching the
>use of different video technologies.  My question to you is simple, can we
>use your system, sources, to embed or integrate your video technology into
>our system?
>
>Please reply as soon as possible.
>
>Thank you very much.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Tom Eagar
>Live Conference PRO^(TM) Virtual Meeting Rooms
>It' Web Conferencing Made Easy!
>
>http://www.liveconferencepro.com

>http://mail2web.com/ .

I'm afraid I am not entirely sure what you're asking for, so I'll try to
cover all the bases. According the GPL license that VLC is released
under, if you wish to use or distribute VLC binaries on any computer or
a network (local or wide-area), you may do so, without any form of
restriction. As far as the source code goes, you must offer to the
public the source code for any changes you make to the vlc program.
Placing source code from VLC into a seperate program is a violation of
the GPL license, unless the program in question is also released under
the GPL or what are considered 'compatible licenses.' The full text and
general HOWTO of the GPL is available at:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Jason Luka
Red Hat/Fedora Maintainer