[vlc] Some success

Les LaZar llazar at zoltech.com
Sun Nov 30 01:08:21 CET 2003

I located a Siggraph DVD-ROM with a variety of sample video file types.

Simply double-clicking on a .mpg file started VLC Client and displayed the video ok.

Double-clicking on .mp4, .avi and .mov files (again in the Gnome desktop environment window) resulted in an error message:  "Nautilus has no installed viewer capable of displaying..."  However, if I manually start the VLC Client through the RH9/Gnome Sound & Video Menu and select a .mp4, .avi or .mov file using the Simple Open | Open File dialog box, then they play correctly.

I did notice a minor bug in the Open File dialog box.  As I examined a variety of folders, one after another, without closing the box, the file path that is displayed over the file list window was not cleared when a new file or folder was selected, rather it was overwritten.  After a few files and folders were looked at, the path display was a mish-mash of overwritten characters.  The developers might want to look into this.

I am still trying to display the live video feed from the camera on the WinTV GO composite input.

Les