[vlc] compiling vlc 6.2 - problems and solutions(?)

Steven Brown sbrown at gf.hm.rd.sanyo.co.jp
Thu Oct 2 11:29:35 CEST 2003

Hey all,

I just had a very difficult time compiling VLC 6.2 on RedHat9, but have
finally done it. I noticed a couple people in the past have had a couple
problems that I had (from looking at the mailing list archives), but I
could not always find replies, so I thought I'd post what I can
remember. Hope it's useful to someone.

1) When "making" vlc, many errors with ffmpeg.c prevent compilation.

This problem was reported just recently, and I used Clement Stenac's
solution of making sure to configure vlc with a statically linked ffmpeg.
./cofigure --with-ffmpeg-tree=/absolute/path/to/ffmpeg-source/
Initially, this did not work for me, because I had been doing so much
modifying of the vlc source tree, I'm assuming, trying to get it to
work. After much frustration, I decided to start with a fresh source,
and it worked. I also recommend NOT installing rpms if you are going to
be compiling the source of any of the required packages (ffmpeg, for
instance). I believe this caused further chaos to my system. Please,
someone correct me on this, if I am wrong.

2) After compiling/installing the required packages and vlc manages to
compile, I got the following error when starting vlc.
vlc: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

Copy the libavcodec.so file from the previously compiled ffmpeg source
directory to the default shared library directory. For me, this was the
following:
# cp /usr/src/ffmpeg-xxxx/libavcodec/libavcodec.so /usr/lib/

Key steps as I remember them:
1) ./configure, ./make, ./make install (or equivalent) for all required
source packages
- of particular interest for me, was ffmpeg. A couple other packages did
not compile, but I ignored them and have been okay, so far. ^_^
2) ..../vlc-0.6.2/cofigure
--with-ffmpeg-tree=/absolute/path/to/ffmpeg-source/
3) copy libavcodec.so from ffpmeg-source tree to /usr/lib/
4) run vlc!

Good luck!
(sorry for long post)