[vlc] Re: QuickTime and Sorenson Video

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Oct 12 21:43:03 CEST 2003

Dear Randon,

Yes i had heard about this end of your exclusivity contract. OK, lets
delve into this process of playing SV on VLC :)

1: We support SVQ1 on every platform via the opensource library
libavcodec, part of http://ffmpeg.sf.net
On OSX there is a problem with this implementation when altivec
optimizations are enabled, Weird color transitions take place, it is a
known bug and will be fixed at some point in time i guess.

2: We support SVQ3 on every platform via the same library, there are no
known problems with this implementation.

3: We support SVQ on OSX natively, since the codec is part of the QT
core, which is an essential part of the OSX OS. Every application can
use the QT API and decode SVQ1 and SVQ3. Atm we only support SVQ3 in
this way.

4: When you install QT on your Windows machine and drop a part of the
QT SDK in the VLC directory , we can use the same QT API calls
mentioned in 3. same restrictions currently apply.

Though 3 and 4 are working, they are not used by default at the moment
in VLC, because they are slower. therfore we currently use 1 and 2.

On the topic of legal issues. As far as 3 and 4, there should not be
any legal issues, as long as we don't distribute the SDK mentioned in 4
ourselves.
Concerning 1 and 2, that is something you will have to ask the ffmpeg
people.

VLC is opensource and GPL licensed.
http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/videolan-faq-en.html#AEN170

DJ

On donderdag, okt 9, 2003, at 18:52 Europe/Amsterdam, Randon Morford
wrote:
> I am a product manager at Sorenson Media and I am interested in what
> you are
> doing.  Our exclusivity with Apple ended this summer and we are now
> able to
> license our codec to other companies.  I am looking for a player that
> will
> help me with this.  I can see that you guys have some how figured out
> SV3
> and QuickTime.  This could be a good thing for both of us.
> Anyway, I am wondering how you did it.  Is quicktime needed at all?
> Hopefully not.  Are there any legal issues that you have run into in
> terms
> of playing quicktime files or any other formats?
---
Videolan - VLC media player
Derk-Jan Hartman (thedj at users.sourceforge.net)
Co-Developer of the MacOS X port of vlc