[vlc] Re: mpeg4 avc H264 ?

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Sun Oct 12 21:49:29 CEST 2003

On vrijdag, okt 10, 2003, at 08:12 Europe/Amsterdam, Ben Kinealy wrote:
> I am very pleased with your player and would like to release it to our
> broadband customers on our network for Mpeg 2 transport stream
> decoding on a PC or Mac, though there are some changes to the
> interface I would need to make, such as a simple record button on the
> player for capturing the stream your are watching with out having to
> go through a 3 to 4 stage set up.

VLC is opensource software and everyone can make changes as long as
they follow the GPL license under which VLC is released. See also:
http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/videolan-faq-en.html#AEN170

> But apart from that are you going to develop the player to decode the
> Mpeg 4 AVC H264 codec?
> And is there any hardware that works with your VLC for broadcast STB
> delivery?

We create a player/streamer application, and generally try to use
external libraries and projects for the actually decoding of video and
audio.

as far as i know, we have no modules for STB. a windows directshow
plugin is being developed at the moment, that possibly might be of help
with this.

DJ

---
Videolan - VLC media player