[vlc] Re: Video display on VLC

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Tue Oct 14 20:36:24 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 20:09, Itsik Boger wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I am using VLS version 0.5.3 on a Red Hat Linux platform and a VLC media
> player version 0.6.2 (vxWindows interface) on a Windows XP machine.
> I am able to stream Mpeg-2 PS and Mpeg1-PS programs over a RTP/UDP
channel.
> The VLS is configured to loop the programs it streams.
>
> The problem I have is the following:
> As soon as the program streaming starts, I can hear the Audio on the VLC
> player but no Video is displayed. As soon as the clip (program) restarts
> again (loops), Video appears on the VLS.
> I don't understand why the video doesn't appear instantly on the VLC as
> soon as the stream is sent by the VLS.

This problem is specific to some MPEG 1 videos which only have the 1
sequence header at the beginning of the stream. Without this sequence
header, the client can't decode the video.

You can use VLC to stream these files as it contains a workaround and will
resend the sequence header every second or so.

--
Gildas