[vlc] Re: Video display on VLC

Itsik Boger iboger at qualcomm.com
Tue Oct 14 21:44:59 CEST 2003

Thanks Gildas,

When I stream with VLC, it works fine, but I was able to run it only on a
Windows platform.
When I tried to install the PRM package on my Linux machine, I run into
problems.
When I execute the rpm -U vlc-0.6.2-2 I get the following error messages:

"  libkdeui.so.4 is needed by vlc-0.6.2-2
    libkio.so.4 is needed by vlc-0.6.2-2"

It seems that something is missing the RPM package.

Did you managed to install it on a Red Hat Linux machine ?

At 11:36 AM 10/14/2003, you wrote:
>On Tuesday 14 October 2003 20:09, Itsik Boger wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I am using VLS version 0.5.3 on a Red Hat Linux platform and a VLC media
> > player version 0.6.2 (vxWindows interface) on a Windows XP machine.
> > I am able to stream Mpeg-2 PS and Mpeg1-PS programs over a RTP/UDP
>channel.
> > The VLS is configured to loop the programs it streams.
> >
> > The problem I have is the following:
> > As soon as the program streaming starts, I can hear the Audio on the VLC
> > player but no Video is displayed. As soon as the clip (program) restarts
> > again (loops), Video appears on the VLS.
> > I don't understand why the video doesn't appear instantly on the VLC as
> > soon as the stream is sent by the VLS.
> >

>This problem is specific to some MPEG 1 videos which only have the 1
>sequence header at the beginning of the stream. Without this sequence
>header, the client can't decode the video.
>
>You can use VLC to stream these files as it contains a workaround and will
>resend the sequence header every second or so.
>
>--
>Gildas
>
>--

Itsik Boger