[vlc] Re: vlc with debian woody some questions

Gildas Bazin gbazin at netcourrier.com
Mon Oct 20 00:14:17 CEST 2003

On Sunday 19 October 2003 23:35, Heiko Bätz wrote:
> Hello
>
> Today I installed vlc 0.6.2 on my debian "woody" machine with 950 Mhz AMD
> Thunderbird and 512 MB Ram
>
> I want to use vlc for watching DVD (DMA mode is on).
> I installed with apt-get like the description on your website.
> I use xfree86 version which was released with debian woody.
>
> First I tried XVideo-Output: I only got the half of the video and got it
> twice. That means in the left half of screen i got a piece of video-output
> and in the right half i got the same piece of video-output (like a copy).
> When i tried to change window size or window position vlc and linux
crashed
> (cold start required)
> How can I solve this problem? Is it a problem of  the xfree86-version or
my
> grafik board (trident Daytona 64T AGP)?

This might because you don't have enough memory left on your graphics card.
Can you try to reduce the resolution of your screen or reduce the colour
depth (16bits should be enough).
Retry the xvideo output after that.

> After this I tried x11 output without this problem.
> With x11 output there is another problem. Video output (and audio output
too)
> is not really smooth. There is something like a horizontally cut in the
> middle and video in the upper half comes first and after a very little
break
> video in the lower half follows (like line by line)
> How can I solve this problem? Is it a problem of  the xfree86-version or
my

Could be a speed problem.

> Which kind of video output is the better one X11 or XVideo extensions?

XVideo is way faster that X11.

> Finally an unimportant problem. When i start gnome interface as normal
user
> the width of the interface is to big (much bigger than the screen). When I
> start vlc as root, the interface is smaller. Which permissions do i have
> change  for the normal user, to get the small interface for the normal
user
> too?

I think this is a problem with the default font settings of your gtk/gnome
installation.

You should also give a try to the wxWindows interface (wxvlc) because this
interface is more up-to-date than the other ones.

--
Gildas