[vlc] Multicast question

Politi Roberto roberto.politi at csp.it
Mon Oct 20 12:00:04 CEST 2003

hello,
I'm using VLC and VLS under Linux to stream some video but I'd like to avoid to waste the bandwidth when the streaming server start if there is nobody listening. The stream of course stops at the first router but the local LAN is flooded with unneeded traffic.

Is it possible to prevent VLC or VLS to send data out of the network interface it there is nobody listening (no join to the multicast address)?
I tried to start a multicast daemon (pimd, mrouted) but nothing changes (i suppose that is because the stream is generated from inside the linux box instead of from a network interface)
Any idea?

Thank you very much,
Roberto Politi