[vlc] Re: Late Picture problem on network dvd playback (XP)

pocketmoon at ntlworld.com pocketmoon at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 11 16:04:42 CEST 2003

OK, so it's not the 'proper' way, but I don't have linux. I though vlc might offer a good solution because you can configure the read-ahead cache and force it to try and keep plenty of data locally to decode. I think the problem with playing dvd's of a network drive with powerdvd etc is that any little hiccup in the network starves them of data. With a few seconds of data buffered that should smooth any network glitches.

Anyway, given that no system metrics are over 50% I seem to have plenty of cpu & network headroom. So perhaps it is a fundamental problem.

I'll try vlc playing from a local copy of the dvd and see if that works ok. Otherwise I'll have a go at compiling from scratch - perhaps I can turn off the 'late picture' checking and just force each frame to be displayed...

Unrelated - I have powerdvd working ok without audio stutter on my epia (used some unofficial drivers!) but I would still like to use vlc.