[vlc] Re: vlc install under Red Hat, failed dependencies

Les LaZar llazar at zoltech.com
Tue Sep 16 22:00:55 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Hutfless" <bhutfless at covad.net>
To: <vlc at videolan.org>
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 8:24 PM
Subject: [vlc] Re: vlc install under Red Hat, failed dependencies

> Les,
>
> Couple of things. GLibc is one of several libraries that is generally
> also sync'd with the gcc.
>
> The gcc is the compiler used to create executables from source code, and
> by current Linux version standards, RH Linux 8.0 is becoming very dated.
> Unless you are a software developer/programmer and are prepared to deal
> with all of the dependencies of gcc/glibc, then I would try to upgrade
> just the compiler/libraries.  Because of the naming convention for
> glibc, you may be creating other problems.
>
> Instead, I would recommend upgrading to RH Linux 9.0 which can be
> downloaded from RH or one of the many mirror sites.  For newbies, and
> non-developer users it is easier to just upgrade to a newer version.
>
> That;s my recommendation to you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bruce Hutfless

Bruce,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Actually, I have already tried to get RH9
running on my system,
without success.  The 2-disk RH9 distro that came with the book RED HAT
LINUX 9 by Jang
has a known bug in the bootloader that chokes on my VIA C3 cpu.  The problem
was discussed
in a bugzilla note from last March, but I have not been able to obtain a
fix.  Might you be able to
direct me to one?

Thanks,

Les