[vlc] Re: vlc install under Red Hat, failed dependencies

Bruce Hutfless bhutfless at covad.net
Tue Sep 16 05:24:10 CEST 2003

Les,

Couple of things. GLibc is one of several libraries that is generally
also sync'd with the gcc.

The gcc is the compiler used to create executables from source code, and
by current Linux version standards, RH Linux 8.0 is becoming very dated.
Unless you are a software developer/programmer and are prepared to deal
with all of the dependencies of gcc/glibc, then I would try to upgrade
just the compiler/libraries.  Because of the naming convention for
glibc, you may be creating other problems.

Instead, I would recommend upgrading to RH Linux 9.0 which can be
downloaded from RH or one of the many mirror sites.  For newbies, and
non-developer users it is easier to just upgrade to a newer version.

That;s my recommendation to you.

Regards,

Bruce Hutfless