[vlc] ALSA audio output

Sebastien Fievet sebastien.fievet at free.fr
Sat Sep 20 12:55:34 CEST 2003

Hi,

   I have investigated a little further the malfunction i am experiencing with
the ALSA output plugin :

I successively (and successfully) compiled VLC-0.6.2 with gcc 3.2.2, 3.2.3 and
3.3.1.
Each time i tried various compilation options :
    --(enable/disable)-release,
    --with tuning=(k6-2,i586),
   CFLAGS=CXXFLAGS=(-03 -march=k6-2, -02 -march=k6-2).

   Regarding my problems with the audio output, results were roughly the same :
i can play divX movies through libmad -> alsa plugin under certain combinations
of the compiler and compilation options, but the alsa plugin NEVER worked for
more than 20 minutes when playing DVDs. On the contrary, esd always worked
whatever compilation options i applied to the VLC as a whole or specifically
to the audio output modules.

At this point, i can hardly find what else to try out...

   Furthermore, with DVDs, the audio quality is better with the esd plugin than
with the ALSA one. The latter generates kind of in-band tones, that
periodically appear and disappear as long as the movie plays, until the core
dumping. I think that they are related with down-sampling, but i may be wrong.

   As a matter of fact, i resigned myself to playing divX through alsa, and
DVDs through esd...

If someone has a clue to understand (and FIX) all of this...

regards, Sebastien.