[vlc] Streaming many DVB-T streams.

Anders Nilsson anders.nilsson at netinsight.net
Fri Sep 26 15:05:44 CEST 2003

I'm trying to put together a personal IP-TV head-end at home, I've come
across some questions I just can't figure out. The channels here in Sweden
available without descrambling are few. (SVT1, SVT2, TV4 +maby one or two
more).

Just so you get the background I'm trying to do this:

Create one or a few machine(s) capable of recieving DVB-T and multicasting
the content within the local network.
The DVB-T card or some software needs to demux the MPTS (muliple programs)
into SPTS (single programs) and multicast them as UDP/multicastIP (each
channel it's own ip multicast IP)
The machine(s) should do IGMP queries (should not be a problem since I can
do this on the Linux machine)
I'm going to use a few IP-TV Set-top-Box to view all channels. The Set top
box is sending out IGMP join and leave messages depending on the channels
watched.

The questions:

If I want to multicast all channels including the encrypted channels at all
time. It seams like I have to get a DVB-T card for each and every encrypted
channel and I also need a CA-cards for each encrypted channel (I beleave
that each CA-card is capable of descrambling only one channel?) . If this is
the case the amount of money needed is my limiting factor.