[vlc] Re: mozilla plugin for vlc

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Wed Apr 7 23:15:38 CEST 2004

Youen Le Roux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I first of all want to congratulate you for work that you do on
> VideoLAN, and in particular VLC.
> the object of this mail relates to the plugin mozilla which makes it
> possible to read in streaming videos directly in the famous
> navigator.  indeed I currently work on a project aiming at installing
> a video on demand server within the university of Brest (France).
> however the majority of the future potentials users (teachers for
> example) are under Windows xp and thus use as navigator Internet
> explorer.
> so my question is the following one: is there a possibility to read
> the videos in Internet explorer as it is currently the case with
> mozilla, or is this completely unrealizable ? and if not, is there a
> plugin (in preparation maybe ?) for mozilla under windows ?

AFAIK nobody is working on that. My first guess is that it would be
about 2 weeks of work to create an ActiveX wrapper around libVLC to load
it into IE.

For Mozilla under Windows I am not sure if that would work. Maybe others
could comment on this?

--

Many greetings,
Jean-Paul Saman

Consultant
VLC iPAQ maintainer                    http://www.videolan.org
RedHat Certified Engineer         RHCE number: 807202745005548