[vlc] Re: Video conference

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Fri Apr 9 16:11:41 CEST 2004

Benjamin PRACHT wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004, Dedi Eko wrote :
>
>>Dear all VideoLAN-ist, I have an idea to utillize VideoLAN ask a software to do a video conference:
>>1. Is it possible to do this task with videolan?
> That is possible, but I wouldn't consider VideoLAN as the best fit application for this right now (although some people are working on that)
>>2. Can 1 computer do 2 jobs in an instance? Serving directinput video on port AAAA and accepting stream on port BBBB?
> That's possible indeed.

With VLC's Mozilla plugin, it's even very easy to view both streams in
one window (you'll want that for videoconferencing :)

>>5.Is it possible  to do an encryption? Because I  think Internet is an
>>open line, very  dangerous to get in without any  protection. Is there
>>any solution than encryption to strenghten security factor?
>>
> Although there are some cyphering  / decyphering functionalities in VLC,
> this is not a "out of the box"  feature, and I connot see an easy way to
> implement it here (I might be wrong on this).

For someone's summer project, MingW is now supported for the OpenSSL
installer at http://www.slproweb.com/products.html

socketW is a project in C++, but has a very simple SSL encrypted server
& client example (and works on Windows, Linux,et al)

http://www.digitalfanatics.org/cal/socketw/index.html

Server side example:

#include "SocketW.h"
SWSSLSocket listener;
SWSSLSocket *mySocket;

listener.use_cert("cert.pem", "cert_key.pem");  // Load certificate

listener.bind(5555);
listener.listen();

mySocket = (SWSSLSocket *)listener.accept();

// send encrypted message to client...
mySocket->sendmsg("Hello Client!");

// disconnect and clean up
mySocket->disconnect();
delete mySocket;

Client side example:

#include "SocketW.h"
SWSSLSocket mySocket;

mySocket.use_verification("cert.pem", NULL);  // Trust the certificates in
                                               // cert.pem
mySocket.connect(5555, "localhost");

// Check verification
SWSSLSocket::verify_info vinfo = mySocket.get_verify_result();
if( vinfo.result != SWSSLSocket::CertOk ){
     // We don't trust the server
     mySocket.disconnect();
     exit(-1);
}

// receive encrypted message from server...
string msg = mySocket.recvmsg();

// disconnect
mySocket.disconnect();