[vlc] Re: Video conference

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Fri Apr 9 12:48:07 CEST 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004, Dedi Eko wrote :
> Dear all VideoLAN-ist, I have an idea to utillize VideoLAN ask a software to do a video conference:
> 1. Is it possible to do this task with videolan?

That is possible, but I wouldn't consider VideoLAN as the best fit application for this right now (although some people are working on that)

> 2. Can 1 computer do 2 jobs in an instance? Serving directinput video on port AAAA and accepting stream on port BBBB?

That's possible indeed.

> 3. If I decided to send a stream to someone on the internet based on their IP, will I get block by router or something like that? I know multicast is usually blocked by router, but do peer 2 peer with bothway streaming get block too like multicast?

If you're  unicasting, the only  thing that might  block you would  be a
firewall. Event that could be avoided, using HTTP as a transport instead
of UDP.

> 4.To shrink down packet size  without loosing too much quality, I haveto do transcoding, which codec do you think give the optimal result?

MPEG 4 should give good results, provided you computer is fast enough to
encode the stream.

> 5.Is it possible  to do an encryption? Because I  think Internet is an
> open line, very  dangerous to get in without any  protection. Is there
> any solution than encryption to strenghten security factor?

Although there are some cyphering  / decyphering functionalities in VLC,
this is not a "out of the box"  feature, and I connot see an easy way to
implement it here (I might be wrong on this).

Although, I  could be  required to  play a bit  with different  access /
access out  buffers (in  the preference window),  to reduce  caching and
delay.

--
$(echo "BigBen")

Oui je quote, et alors ?