[vlc] Re: embedding vlc into another app

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Thu Apr 15 21:00:37 CEST 2004

On Thursday 15 April 2004 15:38, Dr M Price wrote:

> I'm a newbie with vlc.  I'm currently developing an application which
> uses a 3D game engine to create 3D worlds with embedded video, audio,
> etc.  I'm currently using a winTV card, with a v4l based interface.
> This runs in a separate thread, passing frames of video to the main
> application when requested.  I'd like to replace this with a thread
> which has most of the vlc functionality (it doesn't need the UI, but
> there would obviously need to be a program-level interface), so that
> it passes frames of video and audio to the main app when requested.
>

> Is this feasible?  Do I need to hack into the vlc code?  Or is there
> a straight-forward top-level class already there that I can use to do
> all of this?

Well, VLC (libvlc) only offers a high level API for playing multimedia
content (open/play/stop/pause, etc...) so I don't think it will fit your
needs. Apparently you would want something which gives you raw video frames
data whereas libvlc is not designed to give you that much control (it does
create the video output and does the rendering itself for instance,
etc...).

I would suggest you have a look at a demuxer/decoder library like ffmpeg
instead, which is designed to give you this kind of control
(ffmpeg.sf.net).

--
Gildas