[vlc] DVB?

Jan Ekholm chakie at infa.abo.fi
Mon Apr 19 09:27:03 CEST 2004

Hi there,

Has anyone recently managed to get DVB stuff working with 0.7.1? I've been
fighting with Videolan and DVB for a few weeks now (no kidding) without a
single successful tuning. At first I tried vls, but it is clearly an
unmaintained dead end, and it was suggested on IRC that vlc is the way to
go now.

I've tried a lot to get the tuning to work, but can't seem to get a
frontend lock and/or a successful tuning. I've tried according to these
docs:

	http://www.linux.com/howtos/VideoLAN-HOWTO/x818.shtml

I use a Hauppauge Nexus full featured DVB-s card, and it works just fine
with other apps such as xawtv and dvbstream. I've tried to do things like:

	% vlc -vvvv dvb:12551000:1:9:22000000

The result is this:

	http://www.infa.abo.fi/~chakie/media/vlc.log

Clearly it finds the frontend and even finds a signal, but doesn't seem to
get a lock?

A strace from the same execution is here:

	http://www.infa.abo.fi/~chakie/media/vlc.strace

What could be missing and/or wrong? Clearly a project as old, mature and
famous as Videolan should be easier to get up and running that this?

When I use dvbstream for the same channel I get what I want:

% dvbstream -f 12551 -p v -s 22000 -v 171 -a 172 -ps
dvbstream v0.5 - (C) Dave Chapman 2001-2004
Released under the GPL.
Latest version available from http://www.linuxstb.org/
Using DVB card "STV0299/TSA5059/SL1935 based"
tuning DVB-S to L-Band:0, Pol:V Srate=22000000, 22kHz=off
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_LOCK FE_HAS_CARRIER FE_HAS_VITERBI
FE_HAS_SYNC
Event:  Frequency: 12549962
        SymbolRate: 22000000
        FEC_inner:  5

Bit error rate: 15360
Signal strength: 46720
SNR: 54333
FE_STATUS: FE_HAS_SIGNAL FE_HAS_CARRIER
Setting filter for PID 171
Setting filter for PID 172
Using 224.0.1.2:5004:2
version=2
Streaming 2 streams
Audiostream: Layer: 2  BRate: 192 kb/s  Freq: 48.0 kHz
Videostream: ASPECT: 4:3  Size = 480x576  FRate: 25 fps  BRate: 3.90
Mbit/s

Here I have to give the audio and video pids too, but it was said that vlc
doesn't need those, nor is the --program parameter needed, it should just
be able to figure out everything once the tuning works and the DVB meta
data starts flowing.

--
     "I name you... Esmeralda Margaret Note Spelling of Lancre!"
                                      -- Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum