[vlc] Re: DVB?

Jean-Paul Saman saman at natlab.research.philips.com
Wed Apr 21 14:48:32 CEST 2004

Jan,

Could you try frequency=12552000 ? Thus:

vlc -vvvv
dvb:frequency=12552000:polarization=v:fec=5:srate=22000000:lnb-lof2=21500000
--probe

Jan Ekholm wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
>>I like to check the tuning parameters for the channel you are trying to
>>tune to with VLC. Are you trying to tune VIVA channel?
>>
>>The following satellite information is found by me for the VIVA channel
>>on different sites:
>>
>>According to http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.shtml the following
>>parameters are needed.
>>
>>frequency 12552
>>fec 5/6 (auto should also work)
>>srate=22000000
>>polarization=V
>>
>>The transponder settings according to
>>http://www.pirmasoft.de/astra/trnsp108.htm
>>
>>Transponder: 12.55150 GHz
>>Polarization: vertical
>>Receiver: 2,802 MHz
>

> Yes, that's the one that I have used for tests. Just using 12251 has
> always worked fine for dvbstream, szap and xawtv, My mistake.

With dvbstream, szap and xawtv you provide the frequency in GHz, while
the DVB driver expects them in kHz. This is not very well documented ;-(

The DVB input of VLC expects them in the same unit as the DVB driver,
which also allows for tuning some other frequencies that can not be
(easily) tuned by these other applications.

>>The vlc commandline then becomes:
>>
>>vlc -vvvv
>>dvb:frequency=12551500:polarization=v:fec=5:srate=22000000:lnb-lof2=21500000
>>--probe
>

> What does the lnb-lof2 actually do? I've seen in mentioned on Google a few
> times, but never together with any real info.

The lnb-slof is the frequency at which the switch to high frequency band
is done. It will result in programming the tuner PLL to another
frequency range then in the low frequency band. lnb-lof1 and lnb-lof2
will be used to calculate the right frequency to give to the tuner, like
this:

(frequency - lnb-lof1) is used when frequency < lnb-slof
(frequency - lnb-lof2) is used when frequency >= lnb-slof

--
Kind greetings,

Jean-Paul Saman