[vlc] Re: Synchronize Players

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Thu Apr 22 15:28:39 CEST 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 11:52, Philippe De Neve wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm working on a project for synchronizing video sources. The intention is
> to show 2 or more video sources each on a independent PC. On each pc a
> player (favourably VLC:-) )is installed to playback the video. On each
> player all frames have to be shown at exact the same time.
> Does anybody have an idea how I can realize this? (Not by buying an
> expensive videowall of course)
> Can I adjust the source code of VLC so it sends  synchronization
information
> to the other players (which are also adpated to sync) so they can adjust
the
> time a frame is shown?

When playing from a network source, VLC will already synchronise itself to
the server's clock (which is sent inside the MPEG TS stream) so all your
VLC instances should be more or less synched. I say more or less because
there will still be a fixed delay between your VLC's (due to network
buffering or other issues). So to have a perfect sync you'll still have to
ensure that, on start, the streams are in sync with each other.

Have a look at src/input/input_clock.c, this is where all the clock magic
happens.

--
Gildas