[vlc] Re: Network stream freezes after a few sec

Måns Rullgård mru at kth.se
Fri Aug 13 01:00:10 CEST 2004

"Chhaya, Harshal" <hchhaya at ti.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using vlc 0.7.2 to display a mpeg video sent over a network.
> The video plays fine for a few seconds and then freezes. This
> is the message log:
>
> main debug: decoded 105/105 pictures
> main debug: decoded 105/105 pictures
> main debug: decoded 105/105 pictures
> main debug: decoded 105/105 pictures

So far all is well.

> main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (42922)
> main warning: buffer is 44635 late, triggering upsampling

This is also normal.  Your sound card seems to be playing the sound
faster than it is arriving.  To avoid skips the audio data has be
resampled.

> main warning: PTS is out of range (-11685), dropping buffer
> main warning: late picture skipped (44360)
> main warning: PTS is out of range (2238), dropping buffer
> main warning: PTS is out of range (-21716), dropping buffer

These mean that the data is arriving too late, according to VLC's
clock.

> The video freezes and never recovers.
>
> Could this be because the network may have dropped some
> packets? Is there an option I can use to ignore dropped
> frames? Or should I be looking at something else?

What format is the stream?  What is the source?  I have seen these
messages when the PTS values differ too much from the PCR (in the case
of MPEGTS) or SCR (for MPEGPS).  It could also be that the stream is
simply arriving too slowly.

This is what I have deduced after a year of experimenting.  Nobody has
ever bothered to answer similar questions from me on this list.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at kth.se