[vlc] Re: Network stream freezes after a few sec

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Fri Aug 13 15:54:56 CEST 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 01:00:10 +0200, Måns Rullgård <mru at kth.se> wrote:

> What format is the stream?  What is the source?  I have seen these
> messages when the PTS values differ too much from the PCR (in the case
> of MPEGTS) or SCR (for MPEGPS).  It could also be that the stream is
> simply arriving too slowly.
>
> This is what I have deduced after a year of experimenting.  Nobody has
> ever bothered to answer similar questions from me on this list.

Come on now, you'd have to check a few things:

(i)   format of the source stream. Likely to be ok, because it probably
       plays fine from hard drive.

(ii)  efficiency of cabling, switches, hubs etc.. if the ping times are
       low, this can be ruled out.

(iii) efficiency of the TCP/IP stack on the receiver. This is a hornets
       nest of possible problems. But it would be possible to measure
       latency between the interrupt for the network port and the time
       that the packet arrives for processing by the application.

(iv)  efficiency of the program. Is there latency introduced within the
       player.

To find out the source of this problem, experimentation is exactly what
would be needed, ruling things out as you go ..

Dermot.