[vlc] Re: Problem streaming HD (.ts) file {Scanned}

Rett D. Walters rettw at rtwnetwork.com
Thu Aug 19 16:58:40 CEST 2004

Hi -

I believe that 1080i HD is about 24 Mbit/sec.  I have no
issue playing back HD streams across a switch 100Base-TX
network.  The main issue I have is the inability for the
workstation to decode it effectively.  Decoding 1080i
video at full rate takes 70-90% of a 2.8 Ghz P4 CPU with
an Nvidia GeForce 4 card, especially if any scaling is
being done at the same time.  It seems that even HW
scaling using XV is not quite adequate for streams of this
size.

I would say that your issue is caused by not being able to
decode the video fast enough - not by your network being
unable to send the data fast enough.

I am the network architect for a large multi-national
enterprise and I see switched ethernet sustain 70 Mbit/sec
on a regular basis in the networks I manage.  I have even
pulled an 1080i HD stream over 802.11A wireless without
issues (a good 802.11A AP/Card combo can sustain 32
Mbit/sec.)

Rett Walters