[vlc] Re: Does VLC support all IGMPv2/v3 messages in Linux?

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Fri Aug 20 21:33:49 CEST 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004, Pranjal Dutta (prdutta) wrote :

> Hi,
>           I am using VLC as Client to receive a Multicast Stream across my
> LAN and using Ethereal to observe the IGMPv2 messages. Now when I add
> Multicast IP addresses one by one into playlist to VLC ( example 224.1.0.1
> port 1234) and play one item ,it sends a IGMPv2 Membership report message,
> but doesn't send the Join message for the selected Multicast group. On
> selecting another Multicast group VLC is not sending IGMPv2 leave message
> for the previous stream. This is happening with VLC installed in
> Windows2000 Server. Does that mean the VLC doesn't support all the IGMPv2
> messages, only Membership report is supported. I know that IGMPv3 is not
> supported in Windows2000, but does VLC also show the same behavior in other
> machines that supports IGMPv3(Means doesn''t send join/leave). Could
> anybody help me out?

VLC doesn't handle the different messages related to mulicast group
membership itself. The only thing it does is telling the OS that it
wants to join a given multicast group. The OS, then, sends the join
packet if needed.

In that case, the OS seems to refuse to join this address. This might be
related to the fact that the 224.0.0.0/8 class is used for system
purposes. One shouldn't use them for general purposes applications.

The 239.255.0.0/16 class should be used for private multicast transfers.

--
Benjamin Pracht