[vlc] Re: HDTV Transport Streams (.ts) and Performance

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Sat Dec 4 08:46:20 CET 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004, Galen wrote :
> I'm using VLC to play back .ts files, typically 1080i HDTV MPEG-2. I'm
> having performance issues though. Under my configuration, I cannot get
> the video to smoothly play. The current video playback is very jerky,
> although the audio is fine. I would like to be able to play back the
> video smoothly.
>
> This is my configuration:
> Mac OS X 10.3.6 - 100% up to date
> PowerBook G4 15"
> 	1.33 GHz G4 (512 KB L2 cache)
> 	768 MB RAM
> 	ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 64 MB VRAM
> 	1280 x 854 display (built-in LCD)
>
> I'm willing to recompile, tweak, hack, whatever. Optimally I would like
> to get playback smooth from the .ts files. Just give me some direction
> with what to try, that's all I need...

Well, HDTV streams have always required quite a big CPU for decoding,
and I've never seen such a stream played fine on a G4... I don't think
recompiling VLC will help (all the available optimisations of VLC are
already included in the standard binaries). VLC uses limpeg2 for mpeg2
decoding, which is considered as a fairly efficient mpeg2 decoder, and
include some altivec optimisations as well. On the other hand, there
is certainly still some room for optimisation in VLC's code (debugging
the OpenGL vout would be a start), but this would require some time and
skills, and I'm not sure even would allow playback of HDTV streams on a
G4. BTW, such streams play fine on G5 cpus...

--
BigBen