[vlc] Re: HDTV Transport Streams (.ts) and Performance

Galen galen at myhome.net
Sat Dec 4 21:19:55 CET 2004

On Dec 4, 2004, at 4:32 AM, Benjamin PRACHT wrote:

> Yeah, Apple DVD player can use the hardware iDCT routines of graphic
> cards. VLC cannot do that, since we lack the specifications of these
> hardware functions. However, these functions are fit to decompress a
> DVD
> stream. I doubt cards would be able to decompress a 1920x1080 4:2:2
> stream. I might be wrong, recent cards could have support for HDTV
> MPEG2
> profiles, but even that way, I don't think Apple DVD player would eat
> such big streams, even if authored as a DVD, without rescaling them and
> coverting the chroma.

OK, so I won't even think about something stupid like authoring a DVD
with HDTV resolution MPEG 2! :)

> Well, when it comes to video treatment, at least with the
> decoders/encoders we are using (libmpeg2/ffmpeg), my experience is that
> G4 are not really faster than Pentium III or IV... Don't forget that,
> contrary to MacOS X, linux can use overlay to display the stream,
> meaning that the chroma conversion can be done by the graphic card, and
> this step can quite CPU consuming with a HDTV stream.

Basically the problem, as I understand it, is that the decoders don't
really go any faster on PowerPCs than x86 CPUs. And then to compound
that, there's no way to accelerate any of it with the graphics card.
The latter is the source of my problem, and I can thank Apple for
that...

What if I installed Linux on my machine? Dual-boot and all. Would VLC
(or some other program) then be able to utilize my graphics card
better?

-Galen

P.S, I sh