[vlc] Privacy in multicast streaming

Leandro Leonardi leandro_leonardi at yahoo.com.br
Fri Dec 10 23:26:49 CET 2004

(btw, I tried to subscribe the list several times, but I always get a "We are afraid your subscription failed for the following reason: no submission" error)

        Hello all,

       I´ve been looking for a solution for multicast video streaming on a private network, and vlc seems perfect for it. The only function that I couldn´t find so far is the possibility to have some kind of authentication process for people who want to watch the streams.  Since we would have diferent kinds of streams for diferent departments,  we would like to be able to only allow certain users to receive the stream... since anyone (at least as I know) can join a multicast group and authentication in the program wont help, I imagine that encrypting the video streaming  would be an option... is it feasible? Would the extra processing time on the server and in the client inject too much delay? Is there any other way to achieve privacy in multicast video streaming using vlc?

                                       Many thanks in advance,

                                                                                                                            Leandro