[vlc] Re: AAC / HE AAC / aacPlus Audio Streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Dec 15 19:17:08 CET 2004

>I have tested VLC with our Darwin test stream at:
>
>rtsp://66.220.31.130:554/test.sdp
>
>This works fine, but will not play across certain firewalls that have
>difficulty with UDP.  RealPlayer is somehow able to able to play across
>firewalls with UDP issues and still use UDP if desired.  I have not
>investigated how.  It would be beneficial to support TCP interleaved
>RTSP/RTP streams as well.

This is supported as an option, but the mechanism for turning it on is
ridiculously baroque:
         Settings -> Preferences... -> Modules -> access_demux -> livedotcom
         Then click the "advanced options" check box
         Then click the "Use RTP over RTSP (TCP)" check box.

>   QuickTime supports this as their way around firewalls with UDP difficulty.

As noted above, VLC supports this also, but, unlike QuickTime Player, it's
something that you have to explicitly configure.  It doesn't get tried
automatically.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>