[vlc] vlc and PVR 350....

Chris Bshaw cwbshaw at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 23:28:25 CET 2004

Hi.....

I have a Fedora Core 3 machine with a Hauppage WinTV PVR 350 card and I am
trying to get vlc to connect to it (with the intention of streaming analog
TV pictures across my network)....

My kernel is 2.6.10-rc3 and I have tried this with vlc-0.8.1 and several svn
versions.

I have compiled and loaded ivtv-0.3.1z.tar.gz which I extracted from an SRPM
I downloaded from www.atrpms.net.....it was the only version of ivtv which I
could get to compile on my machine, but the modules load ok.

When I try to use vlc to talk directly to the card, I get an error message
about an option called  --pvr-caching which doesn't appear to exist, and
then I just get the following message which scrolls continually until I
click the stop button on vlc:

ps demuxer: garbage at input

I then decided to try setting the channel with something like ptune.pl and
then try using vlc to access the card via v4l2. But if I try to use ptune.pl
to change channels, I get the following messages:

Warning:  V4l2 driver = 'bttv' does not support the ivtv "enhancements"!
          All codec related options will be ignored.
Error:  setFrequency(6740) failed!

So now I am a bit lost....

Has anyone got vlc >= 0.8.1 working with a PVR 350?

I have seen mention of Chris Kennedy's patches for ivtv to make it work with
the 2.6 kernel, but I can't seem to connect to his site (it seems to be just
an IP address http://67.18.1.101/~ckennedy/ivtv/)....do I need some other
version of ivtv? or bttv?

Thanx muchly in advance for any help.

Chris Bradshaw