[vlc] Re: Does VLC work without internal DVD Drive in iMac ?

Philip Edelbrock phil at edgedesign.us
Fri Dec 17 00:39:49 CET 2004

G3 iMac's don't have USB-2.0 (Apple introduced USB 2.0 rather late).  So
eventhough you plug in a USB-2 DVD drive, it will only work at USB-1
speeds which may be too slow for DVD playback on an iMac?  (In theory,
12Mbps USB should be fast enough, but I'm not sure if it's true in your
case.)

Also, I've been playing with optimizing MPEG-2 playback on MacOS-X.  For
some reason, the Quicktime engine does not use hardware acceleration
(eventhough on OS-9 it does).  But, if you use OpenGL as your video-out
method, it flies.  I can play HiDef 1080i (18Mbps) streams on my G4
laptop with some frames dropping, but reasonably watchable.  (This
assumes that your 3D video hardware can do hardware YUV422 conversion.)

BTW- Some good news is that Tiger (10.4) is supposed to increase the use
of hardware acceleration of Quicktime codecs.  Has anyone tried VLC on a
Tiger pre-release?

Phil